Friday, October 10, 2008

Cheeseburger in Paradise

She says:
So since first strapping on the alpine harness at Smith Rock and climbing up the nubbiny routes on the welded tuff rock, i’ve climbed on Basalt Columns in Eugene, OR and Bishop, CA, and Granite cliffs and domes in Lake Tahoe and Yosemite National Park.

I have really grown to love to sport of rock climbing, the continual set of challenges and with each new skill set attained, a new set of challenges presents itself. Owen’s River Gorge is fabulous sport climbing, the gorge has relatively moderate temperatures (as long as you stay in the shade) and the routes a surprisingly steep and long. They allow for a great workout and a chance to exercise your problem solving skill as your muscles become fatigued. One of the benefits of Owen’s River Gorge is though it’s steep, the rock has surprisingly fantastic hand holds or jugs which make you feel like a rock star as you ascend the routes.


Up until this point Jeffrey has done all the leading, which means he ascends the rock first, clipping into the bolts or plugging in gear and then clipping in (on traditional routes). Lead climbing adds a whole dimension to climbing, as there is greater fall potential from a lead climb. Generally you lead a climb below your skill abilities so that you can safely place the protection gear needed, without being in a place where you become so strained physically or mentally that you might fall. Anyway, taking the step into the leading world was a step I was nervous about. It’s demands a level of comfort and confidence with climbing that I was not sure I had attained. But in order to continue to push myself and grow as a climber, I need to start to lead routes.



So I found a rather inviting looking 5.5 sport route to lead and after warming up seconding Jeff on a few trad and sport routes around the side of the arete, It’s time to take the step into the leading world. 5.5 routes are pretty easy climbing (thought, leading it does and additional challenges). I tie in to the sharp end of the rope feeling calm and confident in my abilities. During the climb I actively remind myself of the advice and techniques that Jeff has shown me, but more than anything I try to enjoy this new type of climbing. For your first lead, you should climb an easy enough route so you don’t have to think about the climbing and instead you can focus on the new tasks of clipping in properly and protecting the climb. I climb the route confidently, posing for victory shots as I reach the anchors. With the completion of my first lead my tummy starts to rumble for the victory dinner Jeff has promised... Big juicy cheeseburger & ice cold brewski here I come!


My friend Mandy has been reading this blog about our climbing adventures, and she was inspired to write a poem. Jeff and I were so moved that we wanted to share her beautifully written poem:

A Huge Smile

With a huge smile extending across the desert sky,
I hang from my fingertips and feel alive.
I have all that I could want,
And I risk everything for this moment, every chance I get.
The bigger the better,
The toughest the best.
I've seen but a fraction,
but could fill the voids in many minds,
with the images I have captured with my open eyes.
I have felt, seen, and connected with her,
Our Mother - most others have forgotten.
She is here with me waiting,
Her patience unmatched.
Who will join me in knowing,
How many are capable of surviving.
As I learn from our Mother,
As I harden outwardly and inwardly,
As I rise to the challenge,
I become that which I have always known I am:
A woman - capable, confident, compassionate...
Or some might just call me tough.

3 comments:

Sam and Laura said...

Hi Jeff and Elizabeth ! I and my wife was at Mount Zion this weekend (10/22/08) and as we were coming back down from the hiking trip from the narrows and lo and behold I looked up and I saw Elizabeth coming up the path heading to the narrows. I looked directly into Elizabeths' eyes and instantly reconized her and we both smiled together. I couldn't reconize Jeff though with the hat and glasses obscuring his face.I respect others privacy so I did not approach the two of you. Both of you look great since I seen you last on the show. I'm glad to see you both are still following your dream. Don't wait till your in your fortys and realize that your stuck in a dead end job ,too old too look for another and your still 18 years away from retirement from the City(A.K.A. ME). My biggest dream was to move to Alaska since I was probably 10 and never had the drive or the support of family members. My wife wants to move to Oregon so maybe I'll get close. I tried to get my wife to apply for the Alaska experiment but no dice. Tried other city workers but still no takers so I guess I'm stuck in Vegas till then. Please keep in touch with your stories for people like me , I know it's sad but people like me live thru people like you. Take care. P.S. Woof to Mo.

Jeff and Elizabeth said...

Hey!! You should have "bothered" us... we always love meeting new people and chatting about adventures! Wishing we had more time to spend in Zion, though. We were just doing the tourist routine there, trying to get to Colorado to visit family.
Thanks for the support! I (Jeff) lived in Oregon for 7 years, and LOVED it. I'd go back in a second. So, good luck with your dreams, big and small!
Thanks for the note, Mo says woof back!
Jeff and Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff and Elizabeth - My name is Todd Robertson. Myself and partner, Peter Grimm are the owners of Icy Bay Lodge. Yes, that one! I would love to get a hold of you to talk about some ideas. I watched you on the show and it was not until after I realized Icy Bay Lodge was part of it. The owner you knew is LONG GONE! My email is tcr@ccrgroup.net. It would be awesome to talk with you.